The new North Island Hospital Campbell River campus will be carefully designed to meet the needs of North Island residents, ensuring the greatest benefits for the best value. We believe that great design leads to better outcomes for patients and families and improvements to staff satisfaction and retention.
See our progress
Take an aerial and interior tour of the new Campbell River Hospital construction site.
Take a virtual tour of the new hospital
This video gives a virtual tour of the new $274.5 million, 95-bed hospital coming to Campbell River. Fasten your virtual seat belt and take a ride around and through the site!
Campbell River Hospital Flythrough.
The following images are artist renderings showing what the new North Island Hospital Campbell River campus will look like.
Following the project Design Principles, the North Island Hospital Campbell River campus will feature:
- 32,316 sq metres/348,000 sq feet overall space.
- Single patient rooms with bathrooms and carefully positioned hand wash stations help to reduce hospital infections
- 95 acute care beds:
- 72 In Patient beds
- 6 Intensive Care beds
- 7 Telemetry
- 7 LDRP (Labour, Delivery, Recovery & Post-Partum) + Aboriginal Maternal Health
- 3 Pediatrics
- Additional rooms/bays/procedural spaces include:
- 4 Operating Rooms
- 12 Surgical Daycare
- 10 Post-Anesthetic Recovery Rooms (PARR)
- 5 procedure rooms
- 7 Chemo
- 7 Medical Daycare
- 29 Emergency
- University of British Columbia (UBC) Academic Teaching Space
- Centre of Excellence in Aboriginal Maternal Health
- New or enhanced spaces for:
- Emergency (3x larger than existing hospital)
- Ambulatory procedure care
- Cardio-pulmonary diagnostic services
- Orthopedic clinic
- Outpatient clinics
- MRI s (Medical Imaging)
- Standardized office space, meeting rooms and lounges
For more about the services the hospital will provide, view the Services page.
Initial design decisions for the Request for Proposals were made in direct consultation with over 20 user groups, including physicians, nurses, food services, laundry, housekeeping, and management. Consultation will continue after a proponent is selected to include user groups and make sure we deliver evidence-based design.